A woman died after eating a vegan wrap. The Daily Mirror returns to this tragedy which occurred on December 27, 2017 in England.
A vegan wrap cost him his life. On December 27, 2017, Celia Marsh visited a Pret A Manger chain restaurant in Bath, South West England. Suffering from a deadly allergy cow’s milk protein, the 42-year-old bought a vegan wrap that was supposed to be dairy-free. But after a few bites, the mother of five didn’t have time to get home and collapsed on the sidewalk leaving the restaurantreports the DailyMirror.
victim of anaphylactic shock
Medical examiners have concluded that Celia Marsh died ofanaphylactic shock, triggered by a milk protein in the wrap she had consumed a few minutes before. The investigation revealed that the coconut yoghurt in the sauce of the Australian brand CoYo sandwich, made in the UK by British company Planet Coconut, contained traces of milk protein. But this was not specified on the packaging of the yogurt which was labeled dairy free. “The milk-free yogurt manufacturer had in its possession documentation indicating this risk which was not passed on to its customers”said the examining magistrate Maria Voisin during the trial.
The victim’s mother explained that her daughter was suffering fromallergies since his childhood but that she was always very vigilant about her diet. The death of Celia Marsh follows that of Natasha Ednan-Laperouse, 15, died in 2016 after eating a baguette Pret A Manger containing sesame seeds, reports the BBC. The wand had been bought at Heathrow airport. The fast food chain’s spokesperson said at the time: “Our deepest condolences go out to the family and friends of our client in this terrible matter and we will seek to assist them in any way we can.”