more than 60 poisonings recorded since September 1

  • News
  • Published on
    Updated


    Reading 1 min.


    As the mushroom season has begun, the National Food Safety Agency reminds us that vigilance is essential to avoid poisoning, which is sometimes fatal.

    It’s a very seasonal subject, and an activity that delights many families: with autumn, comes the picking of mushrooms in the undergrowth. But like every year, the lack of knowledge and vigilance can have serious consequences. Thus the National Agency for Food, Environmental and Occupational Health Safety (ANSES) issued a call for vigilance on September 8: 60 cases of poisoning had already been identified by the centers poison control since September 1st.

    Lack of knowledge and applications involved

    If the cases were, it seems, more numerous in 2021 at the same period (330 cases), the difference does not however reflect a better knowledge of mushrooms and the number of poisonings could jump in the coming days: “If very few poisonings took place during the months of July and August 2022 due to episodes of high heat and drought, the weather conditions of recent days have favored the growth of mushrooms “says ANSES.

    These poisonings result in particular from two causes: the confusion of an edible species with a toxic species and the consumption of edible mushrooms but in poor condition or poorly cooked.

    The agency also points the finger at mushroom recognition applications on smartphones which often give an erroneous identification of picked mushrooms, and which cannot be trusted.

    In the event of poisoning, the symptoms observed are essentially digestive:

    • Abdominal pain ;
    • Nausea;
    • Vomiting;
    • Diarrhea.

    The advice should be repeated each year to avoid dangerous situations:

    • Collect only the mushrooms that you know perfectly. The agency recalls that some highly toxic mushrooms are very similar to edible species;
    • Do not eat harvested mushrooms, in case of even minimal doubt. Have your harvest checked by a pharmacist or a mycology association;
    • Never feed the mushrooms you have picked to young children;
    • Do not consume mushrooms identified by means of a smartphone mushroom recognition application, due to the high risk of error.

    Leave a Comment